Learn how to make tonic water. Why spend money on store-bought tonic water when you can have fun at home doing it yourself for a fraction of the cost?
Step 1. Combine ingredients
Put all of the ingredients except the sugar in the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
Step 2. Simmer
Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Spice to your taste with allspice berries, salt, coriander, orange peel, bitters, and lemons or limes.
Step 3. Strain
Remove the mixture from the heat and strain out all the solids with a fine strainer.
Step 4. Repeat straining
Strain the mixture again, this time through a coffee filter.
Step 5. Add sugar
Put the strained mixture back into the pan, bring it to a simmer, and add the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Step 6. Refrigerate
Pour the syrup into a bottle or container that can be tightly sealed and refrigerate.
Step 7. Add syrup and serve
Add syrup to soda water to taste. Serve over ice, or use in cocktails.
FACT: Cinchona bark contains quinine, which for centuries was the most common anti-malarial remedy in the world.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades